My mom took a bite. My dad took a bite. They fuuhreakin’ loved it. The combination of sweet and savory is a killer in this one.
I only wish I had made more than one. Oh, and did I say it was vegan also? AND can be made gluten free if you use a nice wholesome burger patty and use gluten free soy sauce. Now, the protein patty is not mine, so I do not have a recipe for you to follow on that. My friend gave me yummy vegan patty “meat” to use. The stars of this dish are the pumpkin butter and portobello buns, so the patty is whatever you desire! I only say this because a dear friend of mine offered me burger patties.
NOTE: Obviously, the food stylist went over the top with the pumpkin butter (*curses). You want to aim at making this as edible as you can. I wanted to focus on the pumpkin butter and portobellos, and since I am no professional food stylist and just a college student posting up my foodies, I tried my best. To me it looks good and it tastes even better. I’m still new to this scene so it’ll take time for me to learn how to be awesome like many bloggers. You may want to go crazy and over do it like I did, or you may not! It’s up to you. BUT remember, there are burgers stacking so high in restaurants they have to stab a knife up in there, so really…just do what your heart desires!
Portobello Burger with Pumpkin Butter
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 2 TBSP liquid aminos (soy sauce)
- 1 tsp sweetener (I used coconut sugar)
- 3 slices onions
- 1 thick slice daiya cheese
- 1/2 cup arugula, rinsed and dried
- vegan burger patty (your choice)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 /2 TBSP earth balance butter
- 2 TBSP maple syrup (or agave)
- 1 big dash of thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- sea salt, to taste
- In a little cup, take the soy sauce and coconut sugar and mix until sugar is dissolved. Take your rinsed and dried portobello mushrooms and rub the soy sauce generously onto the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.
- With low to medium heat, fry the mushrooms. Each take about 5 minutes. Once done, set aside on a plate ready for serving.
- Cook your patty with non dairy cheese and fry onions. Onions should be slighty charred, unless preferred otherwise.
- Meanwhile, make the pumpkin sauce. Microwave all ingredients for about 30 seconds, mix well and season to taste.
Use the pumpkin butter generously. Assemble together and enjoy one, two, or three burgers all by yourself. (I’m going to try it one day. This is just too good!)